Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Once Again! Two Truths and ONE Not


It's tricky to tell a lie, but I'll try. This is the way
Moodle MOOC11
participants introduce themselves. I hope you figure out the TWO TRUTHS I've shared with you. It's all about teaching to learn and learning to teach. Refresh ourselves at the Spring of Renewal.

The summer of 1972, I worked each evening at Medicalodge, from 11:00 pm to 7:00 am as a nurses' aide. My mother would pick me up after work, and we would travel home on a paved road that went straight to where we lived. We lived about 10 miles away.

One morning, I glanced up, and I saw a medium-sized farm truck carrying and dropping fresh ears of corn. My mother and I tried to get his attention, but he didn't see us.

We were Ruth and Naomi, the ancient gleaners, that day! Being the oldest of seven children, I always enjoyed those crazy, fun, short moments with my mother. We worked out a gleaning plan. I would just lean out of the car, when she stopped, and pick up the ears of corn. We gathered enough corn for two meals for seven people. Today, it's still a great story, and only one of many gleaning adventures with my mom.

One of my favorite trips was one I took along the Mississippi River, from South of Chicago  through to Vicksburg, MS and on to New Orleans on an ancient wooden raft. I had a chance to see the invasive jumping fish, a type of Asian Carp...not native to North America. That was quite an adventure, especially when one jumped onto the raft and body slammed me. Good thing I was wearing a life preserver.

In 1990, I attended my first internet supported NSF grant summer project. It was called GENE: Genetic Education Network for Educators. We identified DNA, performed a variety of experiments with yeast as our most common lab creature. We used weevils, as models, in experiments, and learned all about Wisconsin FAST  PLANTS ( Ask about the bee butts). It was a six week workshop. We worked from dawn to dusk to bring new, up-to-date curriculum for our students. It was a wonderful experience, and we continued to be in contact and share throughout the next five years.

It's tricky to write a fiction story, but I've tried to do it well. I hope you can figure out which is fiction. Enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment